Monday 12 September 2016

THE OTHER SIDE OF GREECE


A COLLECTION OF MEMORIES
 

careless young rabbit
among the olive trees
the buzzard swoops

in dying light
a blizzard of bats
flees into the night

wearing their white socks
fruit trees tread warily
mindful of the ants

cars hum their tunes
race towards the setting sun
the olive tree’s seen it all

a light across the bay
quarters the dying day
at last the sea can sleep

swimming near Lixouri
reflection on the water
how fine you look

young boy
coaxing his old dog
finally leaves him behind

tethered boats
restless, rampant
winter waiting in the bay

last visitors gone
hotel echoes
to the slumbers of the sea

a change in the wind
thrashing the palms
lashing the tourist home

sepia photos
times I never knew listen
  as they reminisce

 

the music of the waves plays on
echoes from the summer
as birds fly south

this ancient city
lizard on the hot wall
escapes in a flash

driving to the sun
sha sha sha as the poplars
pass my open window

 

 

C.P.CAVAFY
 

Your words drip with ancient longing
hanging in the air like succulent clusters 
waiting to be plucked and savoured,
or like the olive, grown on branches
gnarled and wizened with time.
I rejoice in your summer rain and winter sun
recovering through your art the effort to create mine.

 

 

LONELY PLACE

 
Sometimes
it’s a lonely place I run to,
a place I’ve been many times
to hide
from myself
or from whom I’m expected to be -
just an ordinary place I’ve come to,
a place I’ve seen before
many times
but only in dreams.

 

 

MELISSANI

 

Melissani -
on your inviting subterranean cold;
scarcely a ripple in lake or sky,
drifting,  deeper.

Some time ago
a roof fall blocked your way -
just part of your act,
a reminder of unforeseen power
and the need to adapt.

 

 

LASSI
 

The first time I saw Lassi
I knew why you had come -
those placid blue waters
shining with memories shared
and times spoken of
unabashed, unscared.
 

I understand
the forces drawing you,
the instincts calling you
to account,
but you didn’t –
not totally,
leaving me waving
like a fool.

Was it this distance you wanted, to keep us apart
in case I felt your shame – what shame?
Or lost my faith?

Perhaps, but just perhaps
better to take a risk,
or was the risk of losing what we had
too great?

The next time I saw Lassi
I thought
I knew why I had come –
to share - perhaps reclaim, a memory.

But a cold wind now blows,
too late in the season.
An armada of waves
warns those still at sea
that these are your memories,
not mine.

 Here is where you sat and laughed
and here must lie your dreams
and your final farewell.

As the sun behind Lixouri dies
I know mine lie elsewhere
though I am glad to have known your Lassi.

So, I hear you softly saying,
‘Go, now you have seen;
let these shadows drift,
follow dreams of your own’.

 

 

ATHENIAN DAWN

 
The first fingers of light
like a lover
gently lift the covers of darkness
caressing the tops of apartment blocks
daybreak seeping down their drowsy faces. 

First joggers pad softly below my window
preparing for the adrenaline rush of day
that even now stirs and growls.

Early risers beneath the tired palms
turn their backs as their dogs
irrigate bins and benches
the cool beds of flowers.
 

The grandest scenes of this city
have been viewed, snapped and stored
but the play rolls on
along busy streets and squares
that don’t complain,
indifferent to their shabby chic
their magnificent wretchedness
and us, just passing through.

 

 

SUNFLOWERS

 
Shining faces listen
to the whispering wind
absorbing the warmth
and comfort of the sky
while they await the artist
who will cut them down to size,
remodel in a vase
for all to feast their eyes.

 

 

OLYMPIA
 

Though sun and earth grew tired
of your crowning glory,
allowed your proud columns to tumble
and weeds to grow,
olive and oleander entwine their roots
round ancient stock of
moral splendour that still haunts
timeless as stars -
here in your heat and dust,
values we still cling to,
to savour and refresh our lives
 – we must.

 

 

HUMMINGBIRD

 

Like the blackbird
singing in the dead of night
you sing alone
the outer world not listening
not entranced by your magic colours
that streak and glint on your miracle wing
teased by the plastic flower
that is your forest garden,
a glossy voiceless painting
in someone else’s hall.

 

 

SAMARIA GORGE

 
In oven heat
we stumble down the miles
over baked stones glaring
marble smooth
out of blasted rock
past blasted trees
pestered by blasted flies
till I’m on my blasted knees!

 

 

HAIL FAIR METEORA!

 
Hail fair Meteora!
Before me on the screen
Your sunlit smile shines softly,
teeth so sparkling clean,
 
rising every morning
like early morning dew,
your words you said caress my head
from when I’d had a few.  

You come to warm my cold front
soft words like April showers.
I listen to the weather changes
repeated for the next four hours
 
but now, no longer with me - 
my time zone’s been advanced
and no more I sit before you
thoroughly entranced.

But for me you’ll remain special -
my special weather girl,
even though I can barely tune in  
the Beeb's service to the world.

This man who kneels before you
for one simple fantasy begs -
that someday he can verify
the wonder of your legs.

 
Whether rooftop swept or mountainside
where gentle breezes blow
your hair adrift like skeins of gold
as you flick them to and fro.

Your face so mesmerizes,
I do not want to go.
I’ve forgotten what your forecast was -
plague of frogs or snow?

In my lonely cold apartment
you’re like a glowing ember
that melts my eyes and thaws my soul
from the beginning of September.

 I’d like a portable telly -
not to carry you that far –
just so in the depths of winter
your smile will defrost my car. 

But now I’m adrift in  a foreign land
and some-one else is on the telly
I’m not at all interested in his voice
or his big protruding belly.
 
I long to hear your lilting tones
bring calm to the world beyond-
to the storm-wracked east
to the African heat
to our friends across the pond. 

You give hope to everybody
the weather won’t be all that bad -
in fact, I bet you could convince us all
it’s the best they’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment